2017 APCC Training Program
- The APEC Climate Center (APCC) is hosting a training program on User-oriented Statistical Downscaling of Climate Information in Agriculture and Water Resources from 21st to 26th August 2017, and is now accepting applications until Wednesday 31st May, 2017. The 1-week training program aims to provide an introduction to statistical downscaling for climate change scenarios and seasonal prediction, and to guide participants in applying the produced data to the fields of agriculture and water resources.
- The program will be taught by a highly qualified and diverse team of scientists and will consist of theoretical and practical components. Participants who successfully complete the training program will receive a certificate of completion. The airfare, accommodation and meals will be supported by APCC.
- Located in Busan, South Korea, APCC aims to realize the APEC vision of regional prosperity by providing climate information services and technical support for better regional planning and reduction of economic losses caused by adverse climate conditions. APCC produces real-time operational climate prediction information based on a well-validated multi-model ensemble system, with contributions from over 17 institutes in the APEC region. APCC contributes to building capacity in prediction and monitoring of weather and climate in the Asia-Pacific region by making available costly climate data and information. Countries without the capacity to produce their own climate predictions are able to access optimized, high-cost global climate predictions produced by APCC. More information about the Center can be found at www.apcc21.org.
Period & Venue
- • Monday 21st - Saturday 26th, August 2017 / APEC Climate Center, Busan, the Republic of Korea
- • The detailed contents of the program are subject to change
* Understanding climate information (seasonal prediction and climate change scenarios) and introduction to climate information produced by APCC
* Downscaling of climate change scenarios
- User interface and steps to using climate change scenario data
- Introduction to downscaling methods
- Examples of using climate change scenarios data
* Downscaling of seasonal prediction
- Introduction to seasonal prediction downscaling methods
- Examples of using seasonal prediction data
* Application of climate change scenario data and seasonal prediction information in the fields of agriculture and water resources
* Producing downscaled climate change scenario data for each nation and user-oriented analysis of climate characteristics
* Applying Weather Generator and analyzing data
* Producing real-time seasonal prediction downscaling data
* Real-time projection of drought and prediction data using EDI
* Participant's presentation based on the results of the lecture and the practical session
- • Scientists from national research institutes in agricultural and/or water-related fields in developing countries, preferably APEC economies, ASEAN, and Pacific Islands
- • Working level staff of national research institutes in roles related national climate change strategies such as on impact assessment and feasibility studies
General Requirements and Assessment Criteria
- • Understanding of basic science in climate system
- • Oral and written communication skills in English
- - Each participant is required to give a 15 minute presentation on the results of hands-on sessions
- • Ability to make a substantive contribution to their own nation with what he/she has learned from APCC
- • Airfare, accommodation and per-diem will be supported by APCC
- - Please note that 22% tax will be deducted from the per-diem for participants from countries that have not signed a National Tax Treaty with Korea in accordance with the law on the retention of tax in Korea
Required Documents (Submissions will be accepted via email only)
- • Application form (use the attached form below)
- • A letter of recommendation from your current institution/organization
Closing Date: Wednesday 31st May, 2017 18:00 (Korea Standard Time) - The application is now closed
- • Selected participants will be given notice by 12th June, 2017
- • Mr. Daein Kang
- • Address: APEC Climate Center, 12, Centum 7-ro, Haeundae-gu, Busan, 48058 Republic of Korea
- • E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- • Website: www.apcc21.org
- • Tel: +82 51 745 3929
UPDATE (May 8th 2017) : Due to an error, the application form has been changed. Please download again from below.
UPDATE (May 31st 2017) : Application closed.
UPDATE (June 12th 2017) : Due to the high number of applicants, there will be some delay in the announcement of the results. An email will be sent to all applicants informing them of the results.